As of 26 April 2022 Hampshire has issued 1,508 visas.
Funding and financial support
- The Government is providing £10,500 per person to upper tier councils to provide support for guests/guest families
- Schools will receive additional Government funding to support the educational needs of Ukrainian children and young adults staying in England
- All those arriving from Ukraine will be eligible for £200 per person to help with everyday living expenses. Mechanisms are in place for issuing Ukrainian guests with pre-loaded payment cards, with distribution of cards being undertaken by Children’s Services staff during a second home visit.
- Sponsors receive a £350 per month Government-funded ‘thank you’ payment. This will be paid to sponsors monthly, in arrears. The mechanism to make these payments will be finalised following receipt of further Government guidance. It has been announced by Government that these payments will not be considered as taxable income.
Hampshire County Council’s Adult Social Care team continues to liaise with NHS representatives regarding how support will be provided. GP support and the provision of crisis mental health assistance is a key consideration.
- Work is ongoing by Hampshire County Council and District and Borough authorities to develop local information for guests to complement the Government’s Welcome Guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK: (www.gov.uk/government/publications/welcome-a-guide-forukrainians-arrivi…).
- In the community Hampshire County Council has set up a community support working group, in collaboration with District and Borough partners. The group will work alongside Community First to help support local organisations offering help to Ukrainian guests and their sponsors.
- Further information will be provided as this coordination develops. The County Council has provided Members with details of how local community and voluntary organisations working to help Ukrainian families can apply for financial support through the Leader’s Community Grants: https://www.hants.gov.uk/community/grants/grantslist/leaders-community-…
- Ukraine Connections groups are now taking place in several Hampshire libraries. The sessions offer a welcoming space for Ukrainian guests to meet and find out more about library services, begin to meet others socially, and to find out more about life in their new, temporary home.
Volunteers are being sought to help welcome visitors. Individuals can apply online through the volunteer application form and specify ‘Ukraine Connections’ https://bit.ly/3JHfQtj
More information can be found at www.hants.gov.uk/ukraine.
There are a number of national campaigns being organised to help Ukrainian refugees.
The UK Government is supporting the Disasters Emergency Committee – which brings together 15 leading UK aid charities to quickly respond to overseas disasters, by matching pound-for-pound, up to £20million, that donated by the public. If you are interested you can donate here; Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal | Disasters Emergency Committee (dec.org.uk)
- UNICEF - accepting donations to ensure every displaced child receives sustenance. https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/donate-now-to-protect-children-in-ukraine/
- UNHCR - The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees has launched an emergency appeal to send more resources, staff and aid to Ukraine’s neighbours, who are taking in hundreds of thousands of refugees. https://tinyurl.com/5n6babvd.
- #HelpUkraine Emergency Appeal set up by the Association of Ukrainians in Great Britain, they are raising funds for medicine, food, blankets and trauma counselling. https://www.gofundme.com/f/helpukraine?qid=546c25e9bfc9c469b7f7a57691d3d7c4
- British Red Cross – Ukraine Crisis Appeal | British Red Cross
- Save the Children - Donate to Ukraine Children Now | Save the Children UK